Subject: Mac Newbie plays NetBSD.
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/20/1995 09:58:35
Ok, so I found an old SE/30 with 8mb and a 50mb drive in the back of some
shelf in our storage room and though "wtf, I'll try NetBSD/Mac"...

Having never touched a Mac (other than to move them out of the way on
shelves and such) it actually took a bit of digging around to find the
various tools needed to uncompress and convert the files to something
executable (that whole resource fork / data fork thing is kind of
bogus IMO)...

aaaaanyways.....

I got 1.0 installed after a couple of hours and it actually boots
but it can't find my ethernet card. During probe I get:

nubus0: s:9 t:4 "MacCon 30si, Asante Technologies, Inc." not configured.

It never comes up with "ae0:" anywhere...

Now, I know the ethernet card works because I installed the thing
through it off our novell server.  The bootloader also lives on the
novell server... So, I know all that works fine...

I tried getting the kernel off ftp.fcr.com:/pub/macbsd but with it I
don't even get the nubus0: message...

So anyone? Am I being a dork? Should I just go back to workstations
where I belong?

Oh, btw, I'm not subscribed to macbsd-general so email replies would be
most welcome!

Herb.