Subject: RE: NetBSD and the Powerbook?
To: Aaron Rosenzweig <recurve@wam.umd.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/17/1995 19:45:45
You wrote:
>         About the Blackbirds and no FPUs.  From what I read,  Apple says
> a full 68040 at 25Mhz is not too hot.  I don't know why they didn't make
> such a machine........

CPU in PB5x0 is (I think) 68V040 which is a low power consumption
version of 68040, which does not have a built-in FPU.  It looks like
Motorola is more to blame than Apple, to me, anyway.

>         The Blackbirds were silly I thought because of this, I'm anxious
> to see what the 603+ will be like.

Personally I couldn't care less about Apple's PPC line.  I wouldn't be
using SE/30 at the first place if it hadn't already been sitting there
as my wife's old word processing machine...  because it's kinda
hopeless to wait for Apple to release more technical information...
If I ever buy a PPC box, it will definitely not be from Apple.

Ken