Subject: Re: g77
To: None <graul@cgl.ucsf.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/15/1995 16:13:22
On Sat, 15 Apr 1995 13:59:37 -0700
 graul@cgl.ucsf.edu wrote:

 > gcc-2.6.3.tar.gz.  Since building gcc replaces some installed
 > libraries, I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.  What
 > is the proper configuration to use?  The closest one seems to
 > be m68k-unknown-netbsd.  Are there any precautions that I
 > should take?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

./configure --prefix=/usr/local

This puts all the stuff in /usr/local/...  The only thing that conficts
at this point is the name `gcc'.  I avoid that problem my renaming all of
the new gcc, et al binaries in /usr/local/bin to have an `n' in from of
them...ngcc, ng++, etc.  Since it uses it's own heirarchly for cpp, cc1,
etc. these names don't conflict.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939