Subject: Re: X trouble....
To: Steven Lee <shl1@cornell.edu>
From: Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.EDU>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/14/1995 10:06:14
Steven Lee writes:
:
: When I type "startx", it says "xinit: libXmu.so.6.0 not found."  But
: libXmu.so.6.0 _IS_ installed!  I checked the priviledges and they
: were set correctly.

	Did you ldconfig(8) the directory where the X shared libraries
reside, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory?  I don't know if
that's in the instructions, but it's not goint to work without it...

: BTW, has anyone gotten either X or dt to run on an SE/30 with Xceed
: 8-bit video card (with the grayscale adapter for internal monitor
: installed)?

	It's not the grayscale adapter.  I've got the same card (Micron
Xceed Color 30) and the same problem, without the adapter.  I think the
kernel is confused about the card somehow.  The GRFIOCGINFO ioctl(2)
seems to return info about the Micron card that looks pretty wonky to
me, but then, what do I know?

	For instance, on the internal display, the gp->g_display
structure looks like this:

gd_fbsize: 21888
gd_fbwidth: 512
gd_fbheight: 342
gd_fbrowbytes: 64

	So...

	gd_fbwidth * gd_fbheight / 8 = gd_fbsize
	gd_fbsize / gd_fbheight = gd_fbrowbytes

	But on the Micron:

gd_fbsize: 491520
gd_fbwidth: 640
gd_fbheight: 480
gd_fbrowbytes: 1024

	So you can see it's quite different.  I'm shooting in the dark
here.  Can anyone give me an idea if the above is in fact the way these
values are supposed to be related?  If I start fooling around with the
device driver, it'll be only at the most crude level (say, hard wiring
what I think are the correct values) as that's about as far as my
understanding (currently) goes...

	Thanks.

--
Tres Hofmeister                       Research Applications Program
tres@ncar.ucar.edu         National Center for Atmospheric Research