Subject: Various ethernet bugs
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <jones@cs.montana.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/07/1995 12:19:58
Maybe some of these are things I'm doing wrong, but I figure that if I
report all of them, and maybe 10% help somebody figure out a problem,
I've done something good:

ifconfig can't turn off trailers on ae0.  (parsing error?)

After the machine is on-line for somewhere around a day, I get an
error to the effect of "ae0: device timeout".

The Asante troubleshooting software that came with my card (Asante
something-or-other) claims the card has 64K RAM.  netbsd, when it
starts up, claims it's only 32K.  I assuming I should believe Asante's
software.

route is having all kinds of trouble -- this description may be a bit
vague, as I can't get any consistent errors, I just (almost)
consistently get errors:  Sometimes it says something to the effect of
"Writing to routing socket: no such process
 localhost: file exists".  Or something other than localhost, if I was
trying to route to somewhere other than localhost.  There are other
variations on this one, but I don't remember them right now.
Sometimes it will take forever (well, actually just about a minute) to
do whatever it's doing:  delete, add, get, or each route in flush.

I get quite a few "ae0: receiver ring buffer full" (or very similar)
warnings.  I'm assuming that this isn't anything horrible, other
machines will just retransmit anything that gets lost.

I feel like there are other errors, but I don't remember them right
now.  If anybody wants to try and help me out here, I can let you
telnet to my machine -- it works as long as you don't type any
commands that generate more than a line or two of output.

Thoroughly enjoying all of this, even if I do get a little tired
sometimes.  :)

					Chris

--
< no .sig today :( >