Subject: Re: NetBSD & Mac
To: None <bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/03/1995 13:58:18
In comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc you write:

>In article <rjames-2903950808570001@rjames.en.net>, rjames@en.com (Bob
>James) wrote:
>I wish I was able to help you, but I'm in a similar boat. I am trying to
>get NetBSD working on a MacII and having no luck. I think the kernal is
>very much like that, but I can't get any further, that is I cannot get a
>shell to execute. Have you made it past this point, and if so do you have
>any suggestions?? I have tried launching /bin/tcsh, and it doesn't bomb
>right away, but I cannot execute anything and I don't get the prompt I
>expect. usually get a #.

Um, do you have a PMMU, instead of a HMMU (or was it AMMU) in the
vanilla II configuration?  MacBSD won't work without a PMMU (I suspect
you do have one, though).

>At one point, and I don't remember what I did to get there, it advised me
>that my FPU was not supported. I'm using a 68882, not a 68881, but it is a
>shock that it doesn't work. Do you think that could be my problem??

I find it hard to believe, but if it is true, then there might be some
assumption that '020 always uses a '881, not a '882.  I'm passing this
message to macbsd-general mailing list, so the developers will get
this, too.  Although I can't think of that much difference between
'881 and '882 that would cause the kernel not to work...

>Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I've tried lurking on #netbsd on
>irc, but there don't seem to be any, or many Mac people there.

I've never been to the channel... There don't seem to be many IRCers
on the mailing list either.  You'd be much better off with the mailing
list than the Usenet.  To join the mailing list, refer to the mailing
list FAQ periodically posted on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce.

Hope this helps,

Ken
--
Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured
programming is for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet-