Subject: ttyxx->serial port mapping
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <Jim_Ravan@avid.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/02/1995 20:02:40
I hooked up a serial terminal to the modem port last night and checked
the serial console option in the Booter. Lots of the correct text comes
out on the terminal when I boot so I'm pretty sure I have the hardware
problems solved (thanks to killourh, Steve Allen, and a null modem
adapter). But at the point where the login process takes control from
init (at least I assume that's what happens), the kernel panics and the
debugger comes up. Also input to the debugger is *very* eratic, that is,
it's hard to type and have anything echo and be read.

So I assume I may have something wrong with /etc/ttys or some such
config file. To check out the problem I need to know which serial port,
i.e., the modem or the printer port, is mapped to which tty device. Can
anyone tell me what the serial port-to-ttyNN mapping is? Is the modem
port tty00? tty01? tty02? ...? And what tty dev is the printer port
mapped to?

And if you are currently using a serial console, please tell me what you
did to get it to work. I'm so close to actually *using* MacBSD, I can
taste it.

thanks for any help,
-jim