Subject: Re: cannot install X.11Mar95.tgz
To: Ivan Alves <>
From: Space Case <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/16/1995 18:02:16
On Mar 16,  2:16pm, Ivan Alves wrote:
>I have tried text, binary; through two different machines, using different
>applications to transfer the file.  I get the same error:
>Invalid compressed data--format violated 1 (or sometimes 2)
>Unexpected end of file -- not a valid tar archive.
>Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout
>Finished extracting X.11Mar95.tgz
>I am about to give up.  Can somebody please shed some light as to the use
>of cpin and cpout? Or to the nature of the problem that I am facing?

What I did is this:
    Binary transfer to my Mac.
    cpin X.11Mar95.tgz X.11Mar95.tgz
    boot NetBSD
    gzcat X.11Mar95.tgz | tar xvf -

You cat pipe the output of gzcat to a 'tar tvf -' to see what the path
is that the files will unload to, and make sure you are in the right
place when you do the extract.

Hope this helps.

Steven R. Allen -

A bird in the hand is worth what it will bring.