Subject: Re: [Q]modem answers but no login
To: None <noud@indy.knoware.nl>
From: Brad Grantham with extended warranty <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/14/1995 21:04:38
> My modem does answer phone but doesn't give login: prompt.

I'm not sure this is what's causing your problem, but you might want to
also add "ATE0" to your profile.  When MacBSD sends "login:" out to the
port (as it is wont to do when "getty" starts), your modem will
answer you with "login:", and themn getty and your modem will chat
quite verbosely, each echoing the other.  I note that you've got
"ATQ2" on, which is good; that means that your modem won't send
"CONNECT" when it answers and MacBSD won't try to send that
"CONNECT" back to the modem, which would cut your connection.  Maybe
"ATE0" will help you.

> tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   mdmbuf on secure
> (most likely i thought with &c1)
> or
> tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   rtscts on secure
> (most likely i thought with &c0)
> or
> tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure
> (didn't suppose this to work)

I'm pretty sure that third field is the terminal type, not the flow
control settings, but I haven't checked the "ttys" format in a
while...

		-Brad
--
http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/  ----------- Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com
Confidence is the belief that you can successfully improvise when presented