Subject: New X11: still .xinitrc problem
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Myers <myers@acec.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/13/1995 16:43:43
I successfully installed Allen's new X11R6 release, and was glad to see the
file sizes dramatically reduced.  (One megabyte for xclock!)  But I'm still
having the same three problems as with the previous release:

1) .xinitrc:  With any .xinitrc at all (doesn't matter what it contains), X
fails to start up.  It starts up fine if you don't have a .xinitrc file.

2) xconsole comes up with a message "Couldn't connect to console".  I tried
fiddling with the permissions on /dev/console, but that didn't help.  Don't
know what else to do.

3) The up and down arrow keys don't work.  X seems to eat them up.  Perhaps
related to this, the documentation says that using option + arrow keys will
simulate middle and right mouse buttons.  Doesn't work for me, though.

This is on an SE/30, running an external full page B&W display.  Can you X
experts out there help?  I'd be grateful.

(BTW, I'm close to getting olwm built from source.  Will let this list know
when it's running.)

-David.

David C. Myers     Sales Engineer     myers@acec.com