Subject: Re: still a pppd problem, or maybe ttyaa
To: None <>
From: Ken Nakata <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/10/1995 13:13:43
   From: (
   Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 08:04:46 GMT

   I've set up MacBSD, DNS is running now, can verify that with MacTCP Watcher.

   I'm now bussy with the PPP dailin side, some question arrise, hope for some

Sorry, I'm not really of help here for PPP, though I have no problem
running SLIP on my SE/30.

   - my mac always has to dail twice (GeoPort) to get the unix modem (Supra
   14k4), why twice?
   - i can't get pppd to answer a dailin for the second time, why could this be?
	   - i can't use ps, as stated before it needs a recompile and i'm not
	     up to that yet (sorry folks), is there a work-around to detect that
	     pppd is active?

Yes, procps that uses /proc filesystem.

	   - in the very old list-log they speak about ser0 and ser1,
	     do i need to set them up in etc/ttys? how?

ser[01] is the old name for tty0[01].

   - is it possible to use the modem port for a ppp to a dedicated line and
     printer port for dailin? Make it a supperrouter.

I don't see why not.

   Hope you people can shed some light on this. Wow, unix is difficult to use.

Hmmm, in a sense, MacOS is much more "difficult" to me ;-)
(DOS/Win are just plain dumb)