Subject: Re: still a pppd problem, or maybe ttyaa
To: None <noud@indy.knoware.nl>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/10/1995 13:13:43
   From: noud@indy.knoware.nl (noud@knoware.nl)
   Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 08:04:46 GMT

   I've set up MacBSD, DNS is running now, can verify that with MacTCP Watcher.

   I'm now bussy with the PPP dailin side, some question arrise, hope for some
   responce:

Sorry, I'm not really of help here for PPP, though I have no problem
running SLIP on my SE/30.

   - my mac always has to dail twice (GeoPort) to get the unix modem (Supra
   14k4), why twice?
   - i can't get pppd to answer a dailin for the second time, why could this be?
	   - i can't use ps, as stated before it needs a recompile and i'm not
	     up to that yet (sorry folks), is there a work-around to detect that
	     pppd is active?

Yes, procps that uses /proc filesystem.

	   - in the very old list-log they speak about ser0 and ser1,
	     do i need to set them up in etc/ttys? how?

ser[01] is the old name for tty0[01].

   - is it possible to use the modem port for a ppp to a dedicated line and
     printer port for dailin? Make it a supperrouter.

I don't see why not.

   Hope you people can shed some light on this. Wow, unix is difficult to use.

Hmmm, in a sense, MacOS is much more "difficult" to me ;-)
(DOS/Win are just plain dumb)

Ken