Subject: Re: [help] SE/30 booting
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Condon <david@trouble.wariat.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/08/1995 12:47:02
>James,
>
>I also have a Lapis video card in my SE/30.
>MacBSD didn't boot either (!) eventhough I followed the instructions closely.
>I removed the card, and voila, it worked. I haven't tried booting the
>Lapis in B&W mode. Have you got that to work?
>
>Anyways, I have been told that the device driver /dev/grf0,
>the graphics frame buffer, can be altered to bring MacBSD up
>on the "big-screen." The modifications to grf0 were posted
>about 1 month ago, by David Condon (Nice work David).
>I still have a copy if you're interested.

Let me just clarify one thing. The Lapis card I have is an 8 bit card. Another
poster tried this with a 24 bit Lapis card and the modifications I suggested
did NOT work according to him. I never experienced any problems _booting_ with
the video card either before or after making those patches -- their only
effect was to allow the Lapis to be configured as a grf device. If your video
card is causing booting problems, I have no idea what could be causing that,
but my understanding is that currently _any_ type of video card must be set to
a B&W mode before booting or there will be problems.

--
      "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."
                                          -- John Gilmore