Subject: Re: video cards that appear to be the wrong type
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bradley Carlson <carlson@FreeNet.MSP.MN.US>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/07/1995 09:03:18
About three weeks ago, David Condon wrote:
>The configuration routine is expecting a video card to be type 3.
>This is easy to fix. You just want to convince it that type 0 is also a
>video card....
[David gives some instructions for editing /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev/nubus.h]

I've experienced this problem with a pretty standard Apple display card
(the card is reported as type 24576 during boot).  I changed nubus.h per
David's notes, and now grf0 recognizes it, but it's dimensions are listed
as "0 x 0" (I believe this should be 640 x 480).  Apparently, the ROM on
the card is not being polite, for parsing by nubus.c or grf.c.

Since it appears some Apple video cards don't behave, is there a list of
the bad Apple hardware?  The FAQ mentions that "Apple Mac II
High-Resolution Video Display Card" and "Apple 8.24" are both known to
work.  For the record, my card is labelled "(c) 1989/1990 Apple Computer"
and "Macintosh Display Card".  It has two VRAM slots and the number
"630-0400" is also printed on the card.

-Bradley Carlson

carlson@Free-Net.Mpls-StPaul.MN.US
"...Cause THAT'S what Tiggers love Best!"