Subject: Re: [help] SE/30 booting
To: James Do <jdo@wv.mentorg.com>
From: William V Roth <bud@selway.umt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 03/04/1995 12:52:04
On Fri, 3 Mar 1995, James Do wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD-Mac on an SE/30 with a Lapis color card.
> Formatting of the external hard drive was done with the APS tools
> (after Install crashed several times with FWB formatting). On booting,
> the screen displayed 22 horizontal bars on the external monitor, and
> the following, shown partially:

For my color board, I had a similar problem.  I was told to make a system
file with no inits or control panels, but the MODE32 init for 32 bit
addressing.  I did so.  This forced the color board to operate in 1 bit
b/w mode.  From that system, I could boot NetBSD 1.0 problem free.

If removing the colorboard init does not force your colorboard into 1 bit
mode and the NetBSD booter still fails, try putting the colorboard
init/control panels in the system folder, set the board to 1 bit b/w, and
boot from there.

Good luck!

Bud

William Roth (aka Bud)   |   first year student   |   tel. 406-728-2305
1310 Gerald Ave. #4      |   UM Law School        |   bud@selway.umt.edu
Missoula, MT 59801       |   Missoula, Montana    |   Call for fax no.