Subject: Re: quadra
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@libra.loral.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/20/1995 13:30:28
jsoohoo@netcom.com writes:
>"Charles J. Williams" <chas@ohm.nrl.navy.mil>writes:
>
>>In message <199502171412.JAA03053@hamlet.umd.edu>,Peter Brewer writes:
>>>I still have my Apple II. It got me through college. Definitely a luxury!
>
>>dare i mention that my hs had trs-80's, model i, ii, iii, and yes, even
>>a iv later on.  i still remember the high res graphics, 128x48  whee.
>
>Hmm, I suspect there are a number of years separating you two during your
>"college years".   But just to thow in my .5 cents, when I went to college
>I had an IBM XT clone.  When I got it (just to put it in perspective), 10
>
>months later they came out with the PS/2 series.  I still have that XT with
>that 20MB harddive (yes it still works).  The next computer I bought was a
>Quadra 650 (that's why I'm here). I bought that Quadra about a year ago.

Gee, dare I admit it?  When I went to college I used one of the last of the
IBM-1620 machines.  That was a decimal machine that could do
infinite-precision arithmetic.  (Well, until you used up the 40K digits of
memory it had.)  Since the arithmetic was based on table look-up you could
make it do arithmetic in other bases as well.  The best "game" was a
program that generated music using standing RF wave patterns in the core
memory that could be received on an AM radio tuned to some multiple of the
clock rate.

When I graduated I bought a KIM-1 because I wanted a 6502 instead of the
8080 (or was it still the 8008 then?) that the S-100 machines were still
using, and because I didn't have the money to buy a Commodore Pet.

Apple?  I think Steve and Steve might have been making the Apple I then,
but I hadn't heard of it.

Henry B. Hotz       hotz@libra.loral.com
               73730.2017@compuserve.com

The opinions expressed are my own,