Subject: Re: SCSI bus on Powerbook
To: None <sparta@imsa.edu, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry Lew <tlew@sdcc13.ucsd.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/19/1995 22:50:09
At 1:23 PM 2/19/95, sparta@imsa.edu wrote:
>APS PowerTools and other similar programs do not recognize the hard drive (int.
>120 meg) as being valid.  It is either not seen on the scuzzy bus or complains
>that it does not have a macscuzzy 4.3 compatible driver.  I cannot mount it to
>try and install a new driver or repartition.

Like others have said, the Powerbook 150 was the first Mac to use an
internal IDE instead of SCSI drive and you are SOL as far as running NetBSD
on it goes. IDE is a cheap (to Apple, at least) alternative to SCSI drives
usually used in PCs and their ilk. As such, normal SCSI drivers won't work
on it and as far as I know, Apple's is the only driver that will.

Why can't you mount the drive? Did it crash and take everything with it, or
are you building it up from scratch? If you need to rescue data, you can
try Norton (although I'm not sure how it would work on a non-SCSI drive).
Otherwise, just get ahold of the latest version of Apple's Hard Disk
Utility (isn't that what it's called?) and fry the sucker. If you need it
partitioned or something, you might try calling 1-800-SOS-APPL and asking
if there are any third party drivers that'll work.

Terry

Terry Lew    <tlew@ucsd.edu>            |  "I don't care what they do, so
  "It is a far, far better thing that   |   long as they don't do it in the
   I do, than I have ever done."        |   streets and frighten the horses."
              - A Tale of Two Cities    |                - Beatrice Campbell