Subject: popper-1.831beta
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yoshihisa Sugimoto <sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/18/1995 01:45:12
Hi,

    Last time I was helped by many persons on this mailing list.
I do thank you all.

This time I'm in trouble with pop server.
I had installed popper-1.831beta with several patches on the source.

When I send a message from a Mac into MacBSD machine with Eudora,
I have no problems. The message is sent to the destination beautifully.
However, when I try to receive messages on MacBSD through Eudora,
popper daemon starts to make two huge files on /var/mail, i.e.
/var/mail/sugimoto and /var/mail/.sugimoto.pop.
The files contain the original message(s) followed by
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
endlessly.

The .sugimoto.pop file had grown until the disk became full!

Of course, I added a line,
popper  110/tcp  pop3  pop
to /etc/services
and a line,
popper  stream tcp nowait root /usr/etc/popper popper
to /etc/inetd.conf.

Did someone experienced such problem?

Y. Sugimoto
1st Dept. of Medicine, Shiga Univ. of Medical Science
Ohtsu, Shiga 520-21, Japan