Subject: Re: How to get started?
To: None <tnelson@telesciences.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/15/1995 16:53:59
   Date: Wed, 15 Feb 95 13:33 EST
   From: tnelson@telesciences.com (Tracy M Nelson)
   Sender: owner-macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG

   How do I get started with MacBSD?  I've got a Quadra 700, so I know I can't
   boot it, but I'd like to take a poke at getting the MMU parts changed to
   support the 68040 MMU.

The way I understand it, it's the Quadra's SCSI chip, ADB chip and so
on, not the 68040, what prevents MacBSD from running on '040 models.
In fact, Amiga and HP300 ports *do* run on '040 (although nobody seems
to have tried to run MacBSD on an '030 Mac with an '040 accelerator).

   What do I need so far as a compiler goes?  I assume my
   copy of Code Warrior is going to be pretty useless in this regard.  Please
   don't tell me I have to get a copy of GCC for the 68K and cross-compile...

How about Tenon's MachTen?  It comes with GCC, X11, and all other
sorts of standard UNIX tools (... Brad, some info please? ;-).

Ken