Subject: Re: Some details...
To: Yulim Tan <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/14/1995 07:58:04
On Tue, 14 Feb 1995 11:12:49 +0100
 Yulim Tan <> wrote:

 > csh : I often have the msg : sh: warning: running as root with dot in PATH

/bin/sh has a really rediculous (had?) warning in it.  I think it may be
gone in -current now...

 >        why do I have 2 execs at /usr/local/bin: emacs and emacs-19.28 which
 > are same size (1085440) and seem to do exactly the same thing. can I suppress
 > one of them?

The is an emacs installation nit.  I don't think it's really two copies,
but rather a link (hard link) that would look like this (if it were
	emacs -> emacs-19.28
This is so you can have multiple versions of emacs around, and run
whichever by default upon typing emacs.  A stock gcc install from the FSF
does the same thing...

 > with the df command, I have: 175000k  115000 used   45000 avalaible.
 > is it fragmentation that make me lose 15Mo? is there any way to get
 > back those free disk place?

UFS keeps ~10% ``slack space'' around - only root can fill this up...The
more slack space there is, the faster the filesystem - I think this slack
space is used as ``temp'' space when the filesystem does block
allocation, but I'm not too familiar with all the gory details...You can
use tunefs(8) to change most of the filesystem parameters.

Jason R. Thorpe
Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939