Subject: Re: Some details...
To: Yulim Tan <Yulim.Tan@scinfo.u-nancy.fr>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/14/1995 08:05:55
> csh : I often have the msg : sh: warning: running as root with dot in PATH

Don't use root all the time.  You can get rid of this message by either
taking '.' out of root's path (editing the .cshrc or .login--I forget
which it's in) or rebuilding the csh sources.  A '.' in the path means
that you can execute files in the current directory w/o explicitly
referencing them.  A user could, say, make an ls program or something
that would give them root access if root ran the command.

> dt 1.0: emacs doesn't recognize ctl-"-" (set mark)
> [X stuff]

Don't know about these.  You have the source, though...  ;-)

> emacs: is it normal that I don't have menu on x11? (v19.28)

It was compiled w/o X11 support.

>        why do I have 2 execs at /usr/local/bin: emacs and emacs-19.28 which
> are same size (1085440) and seem to do exactly the same thing. can I suppress
> one of them?

Are they links to each other (I don't use emacs ;-)

> with the df command, I have: 175000k  115000 used   45000 avalaible.
> is it fragmentation that make me lose 15Mo? is there any way to get
> back those free disk place?

It's there.  In a Un*x system, you don't want to run right at disk
capacity--the filesystem can be more efficient with about 10% of the
disk free.  The ufs filesystem enforces that by keeping a certain
percentage of the disk reserved for root.  You can adjust that
amount with tunefs or with newfs when you make a new filesystem.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **