Subject: Re: Other video boards...
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael J. Oehler <mjo@epoch.ncsc.mil>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/10/1995 09:36:05
Kevin & others,

In message <199502091721.MAA04775@pain.lcs.mit.edu>, Kevin Radke writes:
>	My Lapis ProColorServer 8.16 in my SE/30 works as console for
>	me but I too get a message like above (only mine thinks it
>	is in slot 9)

Incredible, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to try and get Unix
to run on an SE/30 with the same limited-run video board!

First, it sounds as if there is a device (/dev/grf0 (?)) that'll let me
use my external monitor and video card. Am I reading between the lines
correctly? Is this device driver so flexible that it can
support a wide array of frame buffers? I'd be impressed.

Second, your/our Lapis card goes in the PDS slot. From this chain it
sounds as if BSD is looking for a NuBus device which "aint on an SE/30",
but yet, is still able to display the console commands . An incredible feat?!

Last, my dream is to get X/Motif running albeit slowly. Does anyone
know where the Motif libraries can be purchased. I would`ve assumed
that any Unix 68K binaries would've worked. Then I saw Jason Downs
posting. Now, I know to specifiy Sun3 or NetBSD m68K binaries.
Anyways, I've seen bundled "X servers with Motif" which co-exist with
the MacOS, but I refuse to pay several hundred dollars! I've tried to
contact OSF directly (I used the number from vol 8 of the O'Reiley X
series), but they are not geared for sales.

There is a lot of information in this news group. You
just have to scour each message for the nuances.
-Mike
Oehler@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil