Subject: Re: Troubles with Ethernet
To: Yoshihisa Sugimoto <sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/09/1995 21:07:45
> 1) When I entered to MacBSD from SUN workstation, the connection
> was broken so easily. However, when I entered to MacBSD from Mac's,
> no troubles were found. Yes, very confortable!

This is similar to the behavior I've seen, but yours seems more reliable
than mine.  Using NCSA telnet to the MacBSD machine worked fairly well,
but from MachTen using telnet, rlogin, or rsh, the BSD machine froze.  I
personally put this down to the fact that NCSA telnet is very slow and
the MachTen networking is much faster and the BSD networking interface
misses an interrupt or something.

Networking services that are started on the BSD machine seem more
stable.  I hope to start working on this some this weekend, although
I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about these
drivers.

> 2) When I ftp'd to get a large file to a server, i.e. SUN
> workstation, MacBSD got down to debugger level with message
> as follows;
>
> vm_fault(d9000,22120000, 3, 0) -> 1
>   type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]:4010715

> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:23:20:b0, type Asante Technologies, Inc.

Which asante card is this?
Can you try to reproduce these errors on the kernel that's stored at:
	ftp.eskimo.com:/wormey/netbsd/kernels?

That's a pretty much current kernel.  I have not seen it crash with a
vm_fault on any kind of network traffic.

Thanks,

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **