Subject: Re: X Mice, buttons, etc.
To: Erik Vogan <vogan@auriga.rose.brandeis.edu>
From: Loren Peace <ccpeace@cclabs.missouri.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/09/1995 01:26:35
On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Erik Vogan wrote:

> Just a couple of quick questions:
>
> 	I'll admit it, I'm a novice X user (at best), so I just expected
> to type startX, and that it would come up all nice and pretty.  Here's
> what I get:
>
> 	A hatched background, and a single console window.
>
> 	Pressing the mouse button (standard Apple ADB mouse), or either
> of the 2nd and 3rd button equivalents (option --> and option <--) does
> nothing.  I can type commands into the console (like xclock), but they
> always come up in the upper left hand corner of the window, in front of
> the console. At this point I can't regain use of the console until I
> control-c out of whatever I ran.
> 	I get the X cursor over the background, and the arrow cursor
> (with text input ability) when I'm over the console, but I can't get
> resize corners.

You need to launch a window manager.  Try twm, it come with the
distribution, it's in the X11R6 directory.  Just launch it in the
background and you'll be able to move windows are bring up a control menu
with the left mouse button.

Loren Peace                                 ccpeace@cclabs.missouri.edu
If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians
would come out of the gene-pool, they'd've stayed up in the trees and
written evolution off as a bad idea.    Capt. John Sheridan (Babylon 5)
Loren's WWW Pages: Dr. Who, Blakes7, Red Dwarf - pics, sounds, and docs