Subject: Re: MacBSD hangs a lot on me
To: Marc St-Jean <marc@qcc-hal.qcc.sk.ca>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/08/1995 21:19:47
On Feb 8,  6:07pm, Marc St-Jean wrote:
>>	I've been having two sorts of problems.  The first is just a
>>minor annoyance, but I wonder if you've heard of it before of have any
>>solution: when my mac is connected to Appletalk, BSD won't boot about
>>3/4 of the time.  It usually stops right after it decides where the
>>video mapping is, but sometimes a little later.  Unplugging my mac from
>>the network seems to solve this.
>
>I see this all the time.  I just assumed that something the MacOS to unix
>swap over isn't being done in the right order. (possibly interrupt
>vector replacements ?).
>If a packet comes in on LocalTalk it jumps to the old interrupt
>vector in the MacOS which is no longer there and boom.
>If you get lucky the packet hits a little later and it jumps to the
>new interrupt vector in the unix serial driver.
>Just a theory.

One of the first things done by the kernel is setting up vectors and memory
mapping.  By the time anything is visible on the screen, any remnants of
MacOS are long gone, including the LocalTalk interrupt vector.

I don't have my machine fired up right now to see where the interrupts are
enabled, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the serial
interrupt might be being overloaded due to LocalTalk.  But it has never
happened to me, and I have one of the slowest machines NetBSD runs on --
a Mac II.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

This fortune intentionally not included.