Subject: MacBSD hangs a lot on me
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel E. Eisenbud <eisenbud@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/08/1995 16:54:26
I'm running MacBSD 1.0 on an SE/30 with 8 megs of RAM, a LaCie Quantum
230 megabyte hard disk (with an 80 meg root & usr partition and 16 meg
swap) and a Nutmeg 30/2 Graphics Adaptor card connected to an Apple
Full Page display.  There's also a Teac 150 tape drive on the SCSI
chain, but I've been leaving it turned off.
	I've been having two sorts of problems.  The first is just a
minor annoyance, but I wonder if you've heard of it before of have any
solution: when my mac is connected to Appletalk, BSD won't boot about
3/4 of the time.  It usually stops right after it decides where the
video mapping is, but sometimes a little later.  Unplugging my mac from
the network seems to solve this.
	The second problem is much more major: the whole system
freezes after about five minutes of use.  It always seems to be
immediately after a disk access, and it's often, but not nearly
always, after a ls command.  I have tried pressing the interrupt
switch, and while I seem to get into some sort of debugger, my
keyboard is still completely locked up, so I can't do anything.  Is
there any common cause of this kind of behavior, or something I can do
to get more information about the problem?  The only unusual hardware
I have is the video card, but I also have a feeling that it might be a
SCSI thing, since it always seems to be disk access that kills it.
I've let it just sit for a few hours, and it hasn't crashed on its
own.
						-Dan Eisenbud
--
Daniel Eisenbud                                   eisenbud@sccs.swarthmore.edu
Swarthmore College                                (610) 690-5557