Subject: Re: general MacBSD questions
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG, wf27+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/01/1995 10:37:09
On Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:32:36 -0500 (EST),
William O Ferry <wf27+@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>    I'm really hoping that I will be able to run some form of UNIX on my
>Mac without having to spend a fortune on a commercial UNIX OS.  However,
>I own a Performa 636CD, which has a 33MHz 68040, an IDE internal HD and
>uses the Apple CS Ethernet card.
>    Are there any predictions as to when MacBSD will support this
>machine?  I'm afraid that the wait for an 040 BSD might be as long as
>for MacLinux, and I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Well, it sounds like there won't be a port for the 636 unless you work
for the port...  I would guess that the IDE interface on the Performa
is unknown to any members of Alice team.  You might be able to use
i386's driver if you know the port address, etc., though...

>    Also, I was wondering how MacBSD is implemented on the Macs.  Does
>it replace System/Finder?  Or is it an application run on top of finder?

MacBSD boots from a booter program which is a MacOS application, but
it takes over the machine.

> This would determine the type of hard drive I would want to purchase to
>run UNIX on, when (if) I can ever run UNIX on my Mac.

For the reason above, you will have to use SCSI drive for MacBSD until
someone writes the IDE driver for Mac.  However, it may take a while
for MacBSD to run on your 636 if its SCSI chip is the one Quadras are
using.

>    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>                                                          Will Ferry

BTW, aren't Performa 63x's using 68LC040 instead of Quadra 630's 68040?

Ken (formerly known as kxn3796@hertz.njit.edu)