Subject: Re: macbsdand the hfs
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles J. Williams <chas@ohm.nrl.navy.mil>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/25/1995 07:30:22
In message <199501250707.CAA93886@ns2-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU>,Keenan Brock writes:
>1 Someone mentioned that there was a hack out there that allowed a program to
>use the hfs file system much like we use the ufs system from the mac.
>Anyone know where I can get this code?
>Also where do i get the HFS specific information... The low level stuff
>that people like norton and macTools use.

There already is a simple program available on acm.vt.edu, that allows you
to access hfs partitions.  i saw this in comp.unix.aix (why do i read that
newsgroup?):

news>From: Michael Will <michaelw@desaster.student.uni-tuebingen.de>
news>But there is another solution. I have seen a macintosh-disk-reader
news>called hfs. A version for BSD is available at
news>unix.hansa.ac.uk:/pub/walnut.creek/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/utils/hfs

i remeber someone a while ago mentioned writing someting to use foreign
file systems to import BSD partitions directly to the mac side.  i am wondering
how this is going?  (i would make a stab, but know nothing about macos
programming)

>4 Where is the filesystem drivers for the ufs file system stuff in the
>source tree?  With this and the HFS hack it seems quite plausable to make
>the bsd mini-kernel install not TOO hard.

src/sys/ufs i believe