Subject: Re: Options
To: Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.EDU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/18/1995 23:02:23
> 	Hmm, sounds grim.  Well, in that case, what's the chance that
> NetBSD will make it to the 68040 Macintosh family in the near future?
> I'd love to move up from my SE/30.  I imagine I can turn up a nice
> Quadra 610 or somesuch somewhere, for a reasonable price...

Depends on how long it takes me to work through the configuration of
the VIAs, etc. on the Q700 and can figure out how to handshake scsi
data with the NCR 53c96 chip--it does everything for you and it looks
great except I need to figure out how to be a DMA controller 'cause
the chip was designed to transfer data via DMA...  ;-)

Look at it this way...  The Q610 will be at least a little cheaper by
the time NetBSD runs on it--you might be able to afford a Q650 by then
;-)

Really, I'd like to have something booting (or at least reading from a
SCSI device) on my Q700 inside the next month or so, but I've set dates
before...

Later,

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **