Subject: YESSSS!!!
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stan Shebs <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/18/1995 19:44:57
I finally got a version of my game Xconq (7.0d32) loaded onto my
MacBSD machine - it built and RAN!

Two portability nits - "dl" is apparently defined in BSD curses.h, but
is not in the standard curses.h (I already beat jtc up about that -
so convenient to have a core member in one's office! :-) ).

Second, to link X programs, I needed to link against libSM.a and libICE.a.
I suppose these are new and wonderful libraries for R6, but aren't they
supposed to be glued into libX11.a or some such?

Of course, X11 Xconq on a mono 640x480 looks pretty ugly, certainly much
worse than the native Mac Xconq, but this is the first time I've had
it on such a small screen, just have to work on the layout and monochrome
handling code.  Athena widgets are terrible...

Also, I tried running one of my more complicated scenarios under the
curses Xconq, and it coredumped, but the kernel crashed and never actually
made a core.  I pressed the "Macsbug button" and got a register state,
will pass the numbers along if anybody has a use for them.  (jtc asks -
how do you get to ddb, a la PC NetBSD?)

But these are all nits - Xconq is a big ol' gnarly game program, and
I can build and run it under MacBSD.  That's all *I* wanted out of a
1.0 release!  1/2 :-)

(For those who haven't heard of it, Xconq is an Empire-type game that
includes extensive game design machinery.  It's been around on Unix
machines for a long time, and more recently I've been expanding it,
doing a nice Mac port, and making the AI more intelligent.  If you
want to help beta test the latest version, send me mail.  Is Xconq
free software?  Of course!)

							Stan Shebs