Subject: Re: Get_mapping: too many Nubus ranges bug...
To: None <VOGAN@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Giering <giering@dod.cs.fsu.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/10/1995 12:09:10
> Hello all,
>
> 	This is a companion message to one I just sent to the development
> list.  If you have -current or mrg kernals, and you have seen the above
> message (get_mapping(): too many NuBus ranges) I would like to know about
> it.  Send me your name & mailing address (so I can track the bug), and
> your machine config, kernal version, etc...  I might be working on a fix
> depending on how many users/machines are affected.  Right now I have the
> only verified problem (funny, huh??), and that's with either -current or
> mrg kernals on a IIx.  Like I said, I'd appreciate a note if you've seen
> the error.	Thanks.
>
> 						Erik Vogan
> 					vogan@binah.cc.brandeis.edu

	I have seen this error on my SE/30 with the mrg kernel.  In my
case, it appears to have been caused by a failure to set 32-bit
addressing in the Memory control panel.  I was under the mistaken
impression that turning on Mode-32 gave 32 bit addressing.  I was also
unable to boot multi-user, and single-user mode crashed after
executing a few commands.
	Setting 32-bit addressing cured my problem; I no longer get
the "too many NuBus ranges" error, can boot multiuser, and am able to
use dt, X11R6, emacs, and tcsh.  I am still having some so far vague
problems with the compiler tools, in particular in attempts to compile
TeX.
	I am fairly certain that 32-bit addressing was not required to
boot the alpha and beta versions; at least, I don't remember enabling
32-bit addressing for them.  However, my installations of those
systems were never very stable.

		Ted Giering
		giering@cs.fsu.edu