Subject: Mac IIx Details on what happens
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bjorling <mikkyo@interaccess.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/04/1995 04:05:57
Ok Im going to try this again....

Mac IIx 8 Meg RAM 80 Meg Hard Drive at ID 4 or 0 or 1
67Meg Unix partition, 2.5 meg Mac OS
System 7.1 bare on mac side
Mac II color video card (toby) in 2nd slot from power supply
Or Macintosh High Res card in same slot
Apple Extended Keyboard
Apple original ADB mouse
Mode 32 with 32-bit addressing enabled
Monitor dpeth set to 1 (B&W)

Fresh install of MacBSD Etc10, Base10
Booter 1.4 or 1.6 makes no difference in any of the tests except with the
mrg kernel I only tried 1.6.

*Kernel 071194.gz*
Single User, diagnostics on, no serial stuff, RAM autosize off.
Result
All grey bars lots of text then
Changing root device to sd0a.
swapping 401 and 401.                     <-This ALWAYS Happens WHY?
swapdev = 401, dumpdev = ffffffff.        <-And What does it mean?
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <RETURN>
Warning running as root with dot in path.
#                                   <-Everything is fine until ADB bug hits
# #
# #
# #
##
##                                 <-Scrolling prompt from hell (my ADB bug)

*Kernel Netbsd10.patched*
Single User, diagnostics on, no serial stuff, RAM autosize off.
Result
All grey bars lots of text
then
Changing root device to sd0a.
swapping 401 and 401.                     <-This ALWAYS Happens WHY?
swapdev = 401, dumpdev = ffffffff.        <-And What does it mean?
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <RETURN>
Warning running as root with dot in path. <-Totally locks after this line

If I turn on either serial option I get one grey bar or a [ and hang.

*Kernel Netbsd10.no-grf-fix*
Single User, diagnostics on, no serial stuff, RAM autosize off.
Result
Same as Netbsd10.patched

*Kernel mrgkit1.0a*
Single User, diagnostics on, no serial stuff, RAM autosize off.
Result
All grey bars lots of text then
Changing root device to sd0a.
swapping 401 and 401.                     <-This ALWAYS Happens WHY?
swapdev = 401, dumpdev = ffffffff.        <-And What does it mean?
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <RETURN>
Warning running as root with dot in path.
#                                         <-Seems to work for now...Though
ADB                                  #
<-Bug still happens occasionally

I can not get the serial console to work or serial echo.
I want to real bad though. ;-)

Sometimes I have seen a NuBus error of some type, but it blazed by so fast
I couldnt read it. It did not occur consistently, as in none of these
trials did I see it.

Oh and for the record
dt-1.0 never works - Bus Error
screen-3.5.2 is great but the control codes make its use impossible.

Would someone please explain, by example, how to set up the system for
Serial Console use and what steps are needed to boot under
multiuser(configure this and that file but with samples)?
And I dont mean like a poorly written manual...

Bad: you have to turn off e0 and turn on 00 in ttys.

Good: Open the file /etc/ttys with a text editor. On the line with ttye0
change off to on. Redefine the console on the line <blah> to <newblah>.

This would be nice and helpful. :-)

I have a null modem adapter and all the cables.
Terminal settings?
baud I assume is 9600
Parity and bits I assume is 7E1
Handshaking? none? Xon/Xoff? Hardware?
8 bit control characters?
Local Echo?

Also I made a comment in my original post about the control codes that
appear on the console. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix them? Should
the term be set to something other than vt100? etc? Etc?

After 11 hours of screwing around I hope this is helpful.
And I really hope someone can help me make this all worth while.

Thank you Alice
And
Thank you all