Subject: re: db 'step' function
To: None <"macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG"%ROCDEC.dnet@rocdec.roc.wayne.edu>
From: None <vanburen%flovax.dnet@rocdec.roc.wayne.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 01/03/1995 11:32:54
John Wittkoski (jpw@insoft.com) wrote something like this:
>I'm trying to learn more about the ADB problem on the IIsi. The specifics
>aren't important right now, but the thing hangs in one of the ROM routines.
>I wanted to step through some of the code to see where it is hanging,
>but once I get into the debugger, the 'step' command acts like the 'continue'
>command, so I can't follow what happens - it just hangs again.

I'm no authority on this, but it seems to me that it is impossible to
'step' through ROM. The way I understand it, the debugger tries to use this
algorithm to 'step':
1) save the instruction after the current instruction
2) insert a trap after the current instruction
3) execute the current instruction
4) (control returns to the debugger via the inserted trap)
5) replace the saved instruction (which is now current)
In ROM (Read Only Memory), this algorithm fails, since you cannot write the
necessary trap instruction to ROM. This results in the 'step' command
acting like a 'continue' command (without the trap, control never returns
to the debugger; the processor simply continues to execute instructions in
ROM).

If you still want to follow what happens, you will have to (a) copy the ROM
routine(s) to RAM so that 'step' will function properly, or (b) manually
follow the ROM listing (read it, not execute it), and try to decipher where
the problem lies (I would guess a Mac ROM trap has been redefined by
NetBSD/Mac, or the ROM is trying to use a global variable in RAM that is
occupied by something like the NetBSD/Mac kernel, or the ROM routine was
called improperly [wrong number of arguments on the stack, for instance]).
The second approach is more laborious and time consuming, but it is do-able,
with a decent disassembler.

/\/\/\_ Eric Van Buren, vanburen%flovax.dnet@rocdec.roc.wayne.edu
\ \ \   Immunology & Microbiology
 \_^_/  Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA