Subject: Re: next question: scsi Tapes
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Burton <James@qsr.latrobe.edu.au>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/30/1994 15:32:48
>>> 1) How come the character (raw) scsi tape device read and write routines are
>>>  disabled (in the cdev switch)? The block read and write routines work.
>>
>>You generally don't mess with tapes in anything but blocks.  At least,
>>that's my best estimation of why there aren't any character devices for
>>the tape.  The drivers were written by Julian Elischer a while back and
>>we just implemented the low-level parts.
>>
>Well, my memory is that the raw devices worked on my PC (NetBSD 1.0). I
>note that the mac port has its own copies of the SCSI drivers, which seems
>odd, since nothing should be different except the lower levels...

/dev/st0 wouldn't work on my setup (Amiga3k) but /dev/rst0 works fine
There are also the non-rewinding versions nst0 & nrst0 which didn't
work when I tried them but I havn't tried really hard yet :-)

Tape is SONY-SDT2000 2GByte DAT

James

>From :
  James Burton
  Qualitative Solutions & Research Pty/Ltd   Email : James@qsr.latrobe.edu.au
  P.O. Box 171 Latrobe University Bundoora   Phone : +613 459 1699
  Victoria 3083, Australia.                  Fax   : +613 479 1441
  (http://www.cs.latrobe.edu.au/~burton/)