Subject: Re: MacLinux
To: Coty Rosenblath <coty@netcom.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/20/1994 10:55:44
> One thing that I've really liked about Linux is the UMSDOS filesystem.

This is kind of a neat thing, but I wouldn't call it more than a toy,
really.  Tenon fills this niche with MachTen in some ways and MacMiNT
in others.  Both suffer from HFS performance...

> I haven't tried NetBSD, yet.  Perhaps it has a similar filesystem; however,
> I have not heard of such.  If not, I think this would be a really nice
> addition.

I don't know if you can make your root and user partitions msdos.  Is
this what you were referring to, Chris?  I certainly can't imagine
wanting to run this way...  ;-)

> For what (little) it is worth, I would think UHFS would be simpler than
> UMSDOS, given that HFS already supports long names and soft links.

The MS-DOS "file system" is well understood and documented.  Do you have
any idea how many "reserved for finder use" flags/fields there are in
the HFS definition?  Or what, exactly, you'd do with split data/rsrc
forks and the fact that HFS and UFS have different reserved characters
for their filenames?

Anyway, this is a good discussion to continue next year, when things are
more stable at the base level (for the mac port, anyway...  ;-).

Peace,

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@vt.edu ** MacBSD == NetBSD/Mac **