Subject: Re: MacLinux
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <arthur.nghiem@utmb.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/17/1994 18:55:28
> >> I only wish that NetBSD/68k got as much press and support.
> >
> >So what IS the point of porting linux to the mac.. NetBSD
> >is a much better implimentation of unix than linux...
> >If a MacLinux team does exist, why don't they concentrate on
> >helping the Alice team instead of stealing their code...
> >The only reason linux is popular is because it is a free, and
> >runs on intel-based pcs.. and is the first decent
> >operating system available for them (decent compared to
> >Windows and DOS)
>
> Well, the other issue may be that there are several programs that have been
> written specifically for Linux that people may be interested in running.

  I believe the details of the GPL and other public licenses are different
  enough to merit different camps.  Contributors must decide "how free" they
  want their work to be and must decide which agreements do not conform to
  their wishes (or do not protect their legal recourses).

  Contributors *CAN* be commerical vendors who are very detail oriented.

  Arthur Nghiem

  BTW  There is AUX, MachTen, MacMiNT, MacBSD and (MacLinux).
       Any other Mac Un*x camps?  (AUX and MachTen are commercial of course.)