Subject: Re: MacLinux
To: None <jann0004@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
From: Jarkko Torppa <torppa@cute.fi>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 12/17/1994 10:21:39
On Sat, 17 Dec 1994 jann0004@maroon.tc.umn.edu wrote:

> > I only wish that NetBSD/68k got as much press and support.
>
> So what IS the point of porting linux to the mac.. NetBSD
> is a much better implimentation of unix than linux...

GPL could be one point, another could be that some people are thinking
that Linux is the only free-Unix available.

> The only reason linux is popular is because it is a free, and
> runs on intel-based pcs.

The real reason linux is more popular than *BSD is because:

 - 386/BSD 0.0 got bad name as disk trasher and such, things that were
   implemented in Linux at least didn't trash your whole machine.
 - Linux(SlackWare) is easier to install than NetBSD/i386 and the
   installation program looks nicer. Installation program has lot's to do
   with the perceived 'frendliness' of a system, as it's the first part
   that the user sees.
 - Average computer owner is unable to type 'make', and everyplace is
   flooded with Linux binaries (tried to use archie lately ?).

Also Points 2 and 3 is what makes FreeBSD more popular than NetBSD, I
havent seen installation utility of FreeBSD but somehow I think that it
must be prettier than that of NetBSD/i386.

What this has to do with NetBSD/Mac ? Just trying to point out what would
make more people use the system (if it worked on their machines).

I'm personally most interested in NetBSD because I have 4
(mac/i386/Vax/pmax) different architecture machines that have partly
working ports of NetBSD for them as OS for some of them would cost about
10x more than the machine costed.