Subject: Re: daystar_accells
To: Bruce A. Mah <bmah@tenet.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
From: None <busy@aloha.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/15/1994 10:16:09
At 4:37 PM 11/14/94, busy@aloha.com wrote:
>At 6:25 PM 11/14/94, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>>busy@aloha.com writes:
>>> Hmm. What FPU does the IIcx have on-board? I have been wondering whether
>>> pulling the '882 off my PowerCache would do anything useful- perhaps if I
>>> re-installed it on the motherboard, where there's an '881 now, or leave the
>>> '881 on the motherboard, or even switch the two, might do something useful.
>>> I'll do some experiments and folow up when I have some time.
>>
>>The IIcx has an '882 on the motherboard.
>

>Anyone know whether I can get away with switching the FPUs in my system?
>ie, put the '882 on the motherboard, and the '881 on the PowerCache? I know
>that the motherboard will like either, but I'm not sure how much the
>PowerCache will like an '881. ideas?

Well, to follow-up on my own question, I tried booting last night with the
FPU removed from the PowerCache, but an '881 still on the motherboard.
Tried using both the netbsd-patched and Brad's MRG kernels, and they both
died. Actually, it may be the booter that's dying, the last message I get
is "SerConsole=0", then the machine freezes. UUUUUUGGGHH.

busy@aloha.com
Resident Quack,               "NEVER INSTALL LOTS OF NEW SOFTWARE AT ONCE."
Macintosh Geek                       --Mike Landis, mdl@macbeth.cs.duke.edu