Subject: Re: daystar_accells
To: Bruce A. Mah <bmah@tenet.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
From: None <busy@aloha.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/14/1994 15:56:59
At 5:00 PM 11/14/94, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

>busy@aloha.com writes:
>> Has _anyone_ gotten the 1.0 kernel running with a Daystar card? Your
>> comments would be *greatly* appreciated.
>
>My Mac IIcx has a Daystar Universal PowerCache with a 40 MHz 68030, no FPU.
>I've successfully booted the 1.0 pre-release kernel (haven't tried the latest
>one...my quals exam has precedence on my time).  Caching needs to be turned
>off, as other posters have noted.
>
>My understanding of the PowerCache is that if you have no FPU on the
>PowerCache, the (presumably slower) one on the motherboard gets used (if you
>have one).

Hmm. What FPU does the IIcx have on-board? I have been wondering whether
pulling the '882 off my PowerCache would do anything useful- perhaps if I
re-installed it on the motherboard, where there's an '881 now, or leave the
'881 on the motherboard, or even switch the two, might do something useful.
I'll do some experiments and folow up when I have some time.

busy@aloha.com
Resident Quack                  NEVER INSTALL LOTS OF NEW SOFTWARE AT ONCE.
Macintosh Geek                        -Mike Landis, mdl@macbeth.cs.duke.edu