Subject: Daystar '030/33 doesn't like 1.0
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <busy@aloha.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/09/1994 11:51:14
Hi, I've just finished a day and a half of utter frustration. After trying
everything I could think of, including rebuilding the filesystem three
times, trying to boot from Systems 6.07, 7.1 and 7.5, removing various
Nubus cards and promising God that I'll send Grandma a Christmas card this
year; I have arrived at a dismaying discovery-

macBSD 1.0 doesn't like my Daystar accelerator. FWIW, I'm using a Mac II,
with 8mb of RAM, a 12mb swap partition and the rest of the 40mb Quantum
drive as Root & usr.

Before I yanked the accelerator, the booter would crash after about three
seconds of disk access after a "Boot" command. Sometimes, it would make it
almost halfway through a single-user boot before freezing, and once I
actually got to the prompt to select a shell, but hitting <return> for 'sh'
froze the machine. Yes, it's in 32 bit mode, I read the FAQ, which says
that the Daystar works with MacBSD, and I fiddled with the Booter settings
and OS and external cache settings for HOURS. Pulling the PowerCache fixed
it instantly- er, that is, except that my machine has been slowed to a
crawl without it, though.

What can I do? I guess I should just give up on the PowerCache for now. Too
bad. Oh, one other thing- I noticed that the RasterOps 264/SE30 card was
verboten, and I was using a NuBus 264 card, so I put in my old Toby frame
buffer instead. Can I use the '264 card, or will it get cranky?

and while I'm at it, is there a compiled version of 'dt' somewhere? I'm not
sure whether I have the room for all the paraphanalia to compile it on my
machine. And where does it go, anyway??

thanks a ton for any help, I can't wait to get macbsd running smoothly!

busy@aloha.com
Resident Quack                  NEVER INSTALL LOTS OF NEW SOFTWARE AT ONCE.
Macintosh Geek                        -Mike Landis, mdl@macbeth.cs.duke.edu