Subject: Re: Serial port question.
To: Chip Burkhead <chip@garnet.msen.com>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/04/1994 17:28:15
>    I may be getting a bit ahead of myself; but I wanted to try to set up
> my modem port so that I could dial into my Mac. I have already figured
> that ser0 & ser1 are the serial ports and that I will need to set one of
> them up in /etc/ttys.

Um...  They should be /dev/tty00 (modem) and /dev/tty01 (printer); which
distribution are you using that you have ser0 and ser1?

> Also is there an easy way
> to config. them on boot up to put the modem into auto answer mode?  I
> figure that I could save a profile in the modem if need be; but I need a
> way to easily send the ATS0=1 to it to make it answer. Any suggestions?

Use tip and /etc/remote and a login script to connect to the modem,
pass it your init string, and then fail (so it disconnects), and call
that setup from rc.local.  (I'd probably write a quickie program to
connect, write the string, and quit, but I think that's probably
a little too extravagant for most people...)  You might take a look
at "dip"; it's a program for interacting with a serial port prior to
engaging SL/IP or PPP on the port.  You can probably find it in
your local Linux source archive somewhere (sunsite.unc.edu springs to
mind), but I don't know if you can find a NetBSD port.

>    Also, why I'm thinking about it, what is the file name of the file
> where you specify the accounts with su access? I remember there being one
> on a BSDI system I was on once; but I can't remember what it was called.

/etc/group.  Put your name at the end of the line beginning with "wheel".

Jeez; my day job charges $60/hr tech support fees for help on UNIX
connectivity.  I guess I'm just glad I can flame hell out of people
on this list; I suppose that makes it an even trade.  :)

		-Brad

P.S.  There *really is* a smiley at the end of that paragraph; check
again.
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com ++++++++++++++++ http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/
UNIX is kind of like a car with primer but no paint, foam but no upholstery, a