Subject: Newest kernel doesn't work on IIvx
To: None <macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christopher S. Kush <csk@eecs.nwu.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/04/1994 15:04:35
        The new kernel with the IIsi serial fix does not work on my IIvx,
but some stuff comes out the serial port now.  I realize this kernel was
not advertised to work on the IIvx, but I figured I'd try it anyway.  If
you guys already knew it wouldn't work, sorry to bother you, but in the
interest of putting out as much info as possible:

        The setup:
                MacIIvx, 5/230/170.  Stock Apple 230Mb at SCSI 0, 170Mb
Fujitsu at SCSI 3.
                MacBSD UFS installed on Fujitsu, 18Mb swap, rest root&usr
                1.0b base10 package installed, devices built.
                Latest (11/3) version of kernel
                Serial port connected through null modem cable to Amiga
1200 running Term.
                Microphone and the Amiga talk to each other.
                Amiga comm settings are 9600, N, 8, 1, Xon/Xoff

        Upon boot, everything up to

                get_mapping():  No internal video
                weird mapping starts at 0x0

        shows up, both on my Mac monitor and on the Amiga terminal.  13
graybars appear, then nothing.  Except for the fact that the boot messages
show up at the serial port, this performance is similar to every other
kernel.  With the 7/31 kernel, I got 16 graybars.

        In closing, I've said this before, but I know that someone posted
to the list who had gotten his IIvx to work via SL/IP.  If they could
*please* tell me what the setup is so I can get the serial console working,
it would make my day.

        Thanks, guys.

-------
c h r i s t o p h e r   s .   k u s h                          csk@eecs.nwu.edu

                ``A rolling fortress of sound in every bite!''