Subject: Re: Disk partioning.
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/03/1994 12:16:19
On Nov 3,  9:36am, Kevin Wilson 315-456-1404 wrote:
>>From paik@mlo.dec.com Tue Apr  5 03:22:55 1994
>
>It's pretty easy to modify Apple's HD SC Setup disk formatter/
>partitioner to work with arbitrary drives.  With ResEdit, open the
>CODE resource named %A5Init, page down to the list of drives, and zero
>out the second byte before the first letter (of "SEAGATE"...).

You would want to use this method for versions prior to 7.2.  For
7.2 on, try this.  (yes, I know it says 7.3.1, but the non-Apple drive
hack works for 7.2.  I haven't tried the multiple partition hack.)

From: sygnet@iap.fr (Jean-Francois Sygnet)
Subject: [A] Patch for HD SC Setup 7.3.1

to have it operate with non-Apple hard disk:

1/ To format a non-Apple Hard disk:
Open the resource CODE ID=6 of "Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.1"
At address @0060 change 222F 000C to 4E71 7203

2/ To create multiple (MacOS) partition
Open the resource map ID=257 of "Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.1"
At address @0025 change 00 to 01
Then use "Custom partition, ignore the warning message and
reboot: you will be prompter to give a name to the 2nd partition.

Jean-Francois Sygnet <sygnet@iap.fr>

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been
more specific."  -- Lily Tomlin

He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting industry
attacks democracy itself.
		-- William S. Paley, chairman of CBS