Subject: Re: Question on formatting software.
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Tom 'moof' Spindler <dogcow@ccs.neu.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/02/1994 14:24:39
[all the cc's: have been removed]

> > You can ftp 2.7.3 from:
> > 	ftp://jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/mac/APS273.sit.hqx
>
> Here is the news you didn't want to hear. APS 2.7.3 is commercial software.
> It is equivalent to SCSI-director Pro from Transoft. In fact, APS
> licenses that software from Transoft specifically for inclusion on their
> drives. APS holds that the only legal way to get APS 2.7.3 is by buying a
> disk drive from them (although they don't care what disks you format with it.)

I actually own an APS drive, and things seem to work better when you
put their driver on all your disks.

> simply purchase SCSI director Pro from Transoft. I checked with MacZone,
> (1-800-248-0800) and they have it in stock at $62.98 which is awfully
> reasonable as far as disk formatting software goes (IMHO).

I dunno; APS 2.7.x/SCSI director pro is nice, but I don't think it's
_that_ nice. If I had to pay, I'd prefer to use Silverlining or Hard
Disk Toolkit, personally.  (Silverlining's interface was somewhat awful
the last time I checked, though. You have to go through all sorts of
bizarre and non-intuitive menus...)

The worst partitioning software I've seen is the one I got from Spin. I
think I put something far more useful on their disk, like 'Bolo'.