Subject: Re: Question on formatting software.
To: Chip Burkhead <chip@garnet.msen.com>
From: None <monroe@cs.pdx.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 11/01/1994 14:45:51
Chip Burkhead writes:
>    Does anyone have formatting software that will do Unix partitions that
> they especially like? I used the APS Disk Formatter software and it did
> the partitions; but it creates more than I want. It makes a Root & Usr,
> Swap, & Eschetology(sp?). I have no idea what the third one is for; but
> it is using up about 3M of my disk space and I need all I can get. I also
> can't find a way to not make this partition or to delete it and move the
> freed space to another partition.
>
>    What I would like (if it exists) is something that would allow me to
> specify the parition name & size and not try to force me into anything
> beyond Root & Usr and Swap. Does such a thing exist and if so how can I
> get it? I'm going to be moving to a bigger hard drive probably this
> weekend and I would like to be able to set it up better than my current
> one with a minimum of hassles. BTW, this hard drive will probably be
> invisible to the Apple SC Setup program so I don't think it will be an
> option. Thanks in advance.

I use APS, and I was able to set things up exactly the way I wanted.  I
can't rememer the exact menu selection you use (I'm not at home right
now), but it opens a dialog with a graphic display of all the
partitions and you can create & delete all you want.  I have a 105M
drive with 16M swap, ~5Meg MacOS (enough to store the booter :-), and
the rest Root&Usr.

As I recall, the way to do this is not obvious (obtuse interface design
seems to be the norm for partitioning software :-P ).  When I get home
I'll look it up and post the exact procedure.  Maybe it should be in
the FAQ?

- monroe
Monroe Williams                                        monroe@cs.pdx.edu