Subject: Re: Still getting nowhere on SE/30
To: Franklin Chen <chen@adi.com>
From: David Holcomb <holcomb@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/26/1994 14:23:41
> I tried several times again last night to boot, but each time (except once)
> everything froze after "Ser Console = 0" was printed out in the booter.
> One time (and I could not reproduce this) I was moving my mouse around
> like crazy after choosing the "Boot" menu item (frustrated as I was) and
> suddenly I started seeing gray bars.  They _remained_ on the screen
> while the boot sequence began (with output overwriting the gray bars).
> There were something like nine gray bars, occupying a little less than
> half of my 14" monitor.  Anyway, daemons started up and everything, and
> things got as far as the login prompt.  I typed root and got the usual
> "Use su instead" warning, the terminal type prompt [vt100] (I hit return),
> and then the shell prompt ("# ").  At this point I tried to type a simple
> command ("ls" or something like that) but my typing never echoed.  It seems
> everything froze here.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I see when I forget to
set the monitors control panel to B/W + 2 colors before booting
into NetBSD/mac68k.

Except that the bars are blue, I believe, when the control panel
is set to 256 colors, and something else for 4 or 16 colors.

It is totally normal that they remain on the screen and the text
overwrites them.

--Dave Holcomb