Subject: Re: My attempts to use NetBSD/Mac 1.0_BETA
To: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
From: John E. Clark <jclark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/24/1994 09:30:26
At  5:30 PM 10/21/94 -36507155, grantham wrote:
>I can't tell you about "adduser," but I can tell you that the current
>ADB driver doesn't care for the initial console.  If you hit return,
>be gentle with it and let the screen scroll befre letting the return
>key back up.  Run "dt" as soon as you can, because that runs in user
>mode and doesn't lock interrupts out as long as the ite scroll does.

On my Mac II the failure of the minimal boot terminal is more like an
infinite sequence of '#  #<cr><lf>'. So, this problem seems to have
been something that changed from the May 4 issue to the mid-July issue.

I did not stress test the dt interface other than to run 'more' to see
if stupid 'ESC...' garbage came out, as it did in the minimal startup
terminal.

The question here is on the question of 'what shell to use:' can
one at this time use the dt interface?

>Actually, MacBSD has been running solid as a rock for me (of course it
>always works on the development machines...), but I run "dt" immediately
>after logging in.

Ie never go where you know the system to crash, which is most likely place
where the un-initiated will tread.....

John Clark
clark@synergy.encinitas.ca.us