Subject: Re: Progress using NetBSD/Mac 1.0_BETA
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Chip Burkhead <chip@garnet.msen.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/24/1994 09:03:11
Scott and other IIci owners,

   I have also been slaving away trying to get the new stuff working on
my IIci. Most of the things that have been posted are also things I have
been seeing. I get one additional thing when starting up in multiuser
mode though, when starts to check the file system, I then get two
messages that start "anic: <number>" I don't have the number right now
since I'm at work and the Mac and my erros message sheet are at home. It
hangs after these messages.

   However, I have gotten it to boot into multiuser mode and I have not
had the hang problem related to the ADB. How did I achieve this wonderous
thing? I removed the 1.0 kernel and re-installed the 0.9C kernel
(netbsd-073194.gz). After some editing to files to make it so I could
login, the machine has run really well. I still have some more work to
do; but root is set up, I added a user, changed the time zone info to my
time zone and made some other minor changes.

   I'm sure some of you are cringing; but I wanted to get _something_ to
work. Now I will try to get the 1.0 kernel working. Also, if you do go
back to the .9C, and you haven't tried it before, don't be surprised if
it doesn't like your Nubus video card (it didn't like mine). It will
however work with the internal video port. Anyway, that is what I have
done so far. If anyone figures out a good way to get 1.0 to run well,
post it so I can try it. :)
                                                 - Chip -