Subject: Progress using NetBSD/Mac 1.0_BETA
To: None <macbsd-general@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@amherst.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/23/1994 14:39:03
First, I grabbed dt as instructed and it works very well.  I don't get the
lockup problem like I did before.  I should also note that Lawrence's
suggestion to clear the screen before it scrolled too much was also very
helpful even without dt.

Problems still remain, though, with memory.  First, my configuration again:
Mac IIci, 8 megs RAM, 100 meg drive (for now) at SCSI id 2, Toby frame
buffer 8-bit video card, 3Com Ethernet card, and Micron XCeed 128k cache
card.

The problem, essentially, is that I cannot boot when I set the booter to
use all 8 megs.  It gets to "Automatic boot in progress: Starting file
system checks" and freezes.  If I move the RAM setting down to 4 megs, I
get no such problem.

I should also mention that within dt, I've twice frozen the machine trying
to logout.  Should I be exiting dt first?  Or is something else wrong here?

I am interested in trying out X, if someone would tell me where the
appropriate patches are.  But now that I have something which will at least
run reliably (even if only with 4 megs), I'd love to try to help with the
ethernet driver.

Scott Kaplan
sfkaplan@amherst.edu