Subject: Re: SE/30 owners
To: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.plymouth.mi.us>
From: grantham <grantham@amalthea.tenon.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/22/1994 16:33:03
> At  8:59 PM 10/21/94 -0500, mike j. laporte wrote:
> >I've seen posts with people running the MacBSD on SE/30's and was wondering
> >what your configurations are...
>
> First increase the memory from 5 to 8 at least.  With 5 meg, you swap
> constantly.

5 should be plenty if you're just planning on using the SE/30 as
a dial-in SL/IP server.  I developed MacBSD for about a month on a 5M
IIvx, so 5 should be fine unless you're going to be compiling a lot.

> Pick up a larger hard disk.  I would have about 32 meg swap (so you have
> room to grow without repartioning) and the rest in root&usr.  A fully
> installed system is around 60 meg, most of the source is another 90 meg.
> You can install all of that on a 240 meg drive, but with very little room
> left over to work in.  If you are buying now, the minimum I would purchase
> is a 540 meg drive.

That's a pretty serious purchase.  I would suggest that for Mike's
purpose, a 64M Root/Usr and 16M Swap would be plenty.  I've got a
bunch of fully built kernels+objects and a complete X source tree plus
objects installed in a 683M partition with a little breathing room.  I
think you're probably right that 240 will hold MacBSD plus the full source
tree and room to compile, but 540 is really quite spacious.  Your
mileage may vary.

> With an Internet connection, you probably want to use an ethernet card.
> The ethernet driver is still under development.  Maybe someone else will
> comment on that.  You can setup a PPP/SLIP connection through the serial
> port, but you need to have something on the other end of the serial cable
> to talk to.

He's definitely right about this.  You'd really need an ethernet connection
on the other side of that SE, unless you were willing to live bouncing
packets through two serial IP connections, and I haven't heard of
anyone successfully using ethernet for any length of time.

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@tenon.com ++++++++++++++++ http://acm.vt.edu/~grantham/
UNIX is kind of like a car with primer but no paint, foam but no upholstery, a