Subject: Re: My attempts to use NetBSD/Mac 1.0_BETA
To: Scott Kaplan <sfkaplan@amherst.edu>
From: David Holcomb <holcomb@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 10/21/1994 21:27:53
> The install went very smoothly.  No problems.  I began by starting up in
> single user mode, RAM at 8 megs with RAM auto set on anyway.  I managed to
> change my root password.  However, given some small number of commands (it
> seems inconsistent, but between 5 and 10), and commands, the machine
> freezes.  Also, if I try to run adduser (which I can't seem to find
> anywhere, but that's another question), I get a "adduser: command not
> found", the "#" prompt, and an immediate lockup.

I think this is the same problem we have seen with ADB for quite
some time.  The quick fix is to run desktop ("dt").

If it is the ADB problem, you will probably see the lockup much
faster if you type some text, hit <return>, and type more text
before the prompt comes back.  My guess is that it will lock up
the first time you do this.

If this lockup is occuring and you are using dt, then it is not
the same problem.

I wonder if any of Brad's ADB changes made it into this release. (?)
I don't think so.  But perhaps they will before the real 1.0 release.
I know he has been doing some really cool stuff with ADB, and more
ADB devices should work.  I don't know if he has fixed this particular
problem.

--Dave